Results of Def Con conference in Almaty
A month before the meeting, a Def Con announcement was released. By the event itself, the number of registration exceeded 700 people, and the contingent was absolutely motley (from students to directors and advisors on IS).
Initially, there were about 600 people (full room). There were 19 interesting reports from different fields of IS.
The conference lasted from 09:00 am to 8:30 pm and was very busy.
We remind you that the event was non-commercial and without advertising.
We received a huge charge of energy from communicating with like-minded people and realizing that the work we had done and planned was needed and appreciated positively.
There were 19 interesting reports from different areas of IS.
(video recordings and presentations of reports are available on Def Con Kazakhstan channel and http://www.slideshare.net/defcon_kz.
This time we have expanded the program in different directions:
1. Hardware track - we talked about the vulnerabilities of GSM and Wi-fi networks and with what equipment and tools it can be done. How you can turn a USB flash drive into a combat tool for a hacker and why they are dangerous.
2. Offensive track - We talked about the types of different vulnerabilities and how you can find them. Including the banking sector.
Critical vulnerabilities were demonstrated, allowing to implement a full BlackOut in Kaznet.
3. Defensive Track - experts talked about methods of protection against attacks on the practical side. This time we had 3 reports: OS hardening, secure coding and security checklist.
4. Round table - a round table was organized, where visitors could ask questions to top hackers of execution.
5. Community track - There was an interesting report from our comrades - Kazakhstan CTF team, which already have good results in the world arena.
The culmination of the defect was the finding of 0-day vulnerability in a popular product by the TsARK expert together with his colleagues from Russia. This vulnerability will be discussed at one of the largest international practical conferences in Moscow in the near future.
Thank you for the organizational support of International Information Technology University and Damir Shynybekov.
Thank you to our cool guests and friends from Russia and Kyrgyzstan: Sergey Belov Timur Yunusov Dmitry Bumov' and Anton Kirsanov (CIB Kyrgyzstan).
1) Def con meetings are no longer planned to be held on such a large scale. It will be small meetings for 2-3 hours in a new place, which we will soon announce.
2) Starting from next year we will launch a large annual practical conference on IS, which will already be paid (With discounts and invoices for students). It is planned to organize CTF and booths for visitors. Approximately it will be in Almaty.
Thank you to everyone who visited and supported our defect.
There are many plans, follow the news:
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)